- All matches a player appeared in, whether or not they bowled.
- Total number of legal deliveries (i.e. not a no-ball or wide)
- HowzStat prefers to total balls, not overs (a sequence of deliveries made by the
same bowler from the same end of the pitch), because the length of an over has varied over
the history of international cricket.
- A maiden is an over where no runs are
conceded by a bowler, either by a batsman scoring them, or in no-balls and wides.
- Runs scored by the batsman are debited to the bowler.
- Other types of runs (e.g. no-balls,
wides, byes, legs-byes) are defined as "extras" and not debited to the bowler
- A bowler is credited with a wicket if he dismisses the batsman in the following
ways: bowled, LBW, caught in the field, stumped, hit wicket.
- Other dismissal types (e.g. run out, handled ball ...) are not credited as a bowler's wicket.
- Measures a bowler's wicket taking ability in terms of runs
conceded per wicket.
- The lower the bowling average, the better the bowler (the opposite of the batting average).
- Champion fast bowlers tend to avreage in the 20s over a career, while slow bowler are higher - usally in
- As with the batting average, bowling averages are truncated at the
second decimal place.
- A "five-for" - the number of times at least 5 wickets is taken
by a bowler in an innings.
- In ODI/T20 format 4 wickets/innings is used by HowzStat
- The number of times 10 (or more) wickets are taken in a Test match, totalled
across the 2 innings of the match.
- Another measure of bowler effectiveness: deliveries per wicket (S/R = Bls / W)
- Topline pace bowlers generally have strike rates of less than 60 in Tests and under
35 in ODI/T20s.
- Number of runs conceded by a bowler each over.
- An over is defined as lasting 6 deliveries - for historical figure with varying over
lengths the economy rate is derived by calculating average runs per delivery then multiplying by 6.
|BBi||Best Innings Bowling
- The best bowling figures in an innings.
- "Best figures" is the innings with the most wickets, and also the innings with the least
runs if the most wickets is equal for more than 1 innings.
|BBm||Best Match Bowling
- As per best innings bowling, but the sum of 2 innings in a Test match